Friday, February 27

Maine's foie gras fight

A woman walks into a bar with a duck and the bartender says, "Hey, that's the ugliest pig I've ever seen." The woman says, "It's a duck, sir." And the bartender says, "I was talking to the duck."

No seriously, folks, foie gras is no joke. It's cruelty and the chefs who make it are akin to torturers, at least according to those who want a bill (LD9) banning the force-feeding of ducks passed in Maine, where exactly zero farms are raising the delicacy.
I mean, even out in the hallway, I had my chef jacket on–I might as well have had a target on my chest, Rob Evans told MPBN.
If the legislation passes, foie won't be illegal to serve, so it'll be trucked in, just as it is now, from New York's Hudson Valley.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not a black and white issue - it is possible to "raise" foie without gavage (force feeding).

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/406

08:51  
Blogger Psst! said...

It is. The law's not written to account for those nuances of duck husbandry.

09:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geese will gorge themselves in the fall naturally - there are no tubes, just plentiful good food and a safe environment. Watch the video.

08:58  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home